If You're in the Market for great junk...You've come to the right Place!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE!

Yesterday was one of my favorite kind of days....it was all drizzly and cold outside and nice and cozy inside! The perfect kind of day to make up my homemade applesauce. I do this every year and freeze a bunch to have throughout the rest of the coming year. We ran up to the mountains on Sunday so I could get the wonderful North Carolina mountain apples.....(plus to stop a few fav shops too...*wink*! ) The drive was so nice and relaxing..just the break I needed with all the prep going on for the holiday season. The leaves are just starting to turn up there and there was just enough color to ohhh and ahhh over. I really don't have time to be hiking to get the apples let alone spending a whole day making it BUT it is a tradition I love and refuse to give it up. Thought you might enjoy how I go about making the sauce...it's easy and the result is delicious! Follow me....... I like to use a combination of apples. You will need a nice firm crisp variety with good texture. This year I used Winesap and Arkansas Black. I always like to choose one variety with a nice red skin as that will give your sauce a great pink color. If you can't get your hands on either of these McIntosh is an all time favorite. I like to cut and quarter them and remove as much of the core and seeds as possible. Whatever you don't get the food mill get later.

Toss them into a tall pot and put about 3 cups of water in. Turn the heat on medium and let them cook down until they become mushy. Mine take about 20-25 minutes but it will depend on how many apples you have used. A smaller batch will take less time.

Let them cool for a bit. Get a ladel and pour some into the food mill. Crank the mill and watch all the wonderful sauce come out! When using the food mill it is very important to crank it until there are nothing but pieces of apple skin left. The color of the sauce somes from the skin, so don't try to go to fast ....it is worth it!


All I add to my sauce is sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. I do all of this "to taste" so I have no measurements. Mix well.As a little "extra" treat ...while the sauce is still warm, fill a little bowl for yourself, add a pat of butter to it and you'll think your in heaven it's sooo good!



And finally you have a wonderful batch of sweet, pink, delicious Homemade Applesauce! At this point I will get out my Ziploc freezer containers and load them up and stack um in the freezer. It is so nice to have this throughout the year and well worth the day it takes to get it done. Hope your sauce turns out great! I am sure you're gonna love it! ENJOY!



9 comments:

jdeere1 said...

Oh Yummy!!! I so miss your applesauce!! And am really missing you today!

AuroraSuzette said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! So glad you did, cause now I'm here! I love homemade applesauce, and this one looks delicious!

Carmen S. said...

That looks SO yummy!

Jennifer said...

I made 40 lbs. of applesauce last year. My sons and their girlfriends helped we pick - brilliant idea - "Mom - can you teach us how to can applesauce?" Sure - we picked - they pooped out - Left be holding the bags...of apples - but they cleaned me out over a years time of the applesauce - now it's time to make more - I think I might put some dried cranberries in some this year...what do you think? Jennifer jennsthreegraces@blogspot.com

A Bit of Colour said...

Yummy! I never used the skins before in my applesauce

Rita said...

Hi Beth,
just discovered your blog by some other blog link. I'm so glad i've dropped by. This applesauce looks so yummy, wish I were there to taste some or even better that you were to make some for me...LOL.
What a lovely blog name you have chosen - intriguing, and this is the reason why dediced to give it a peep.
Come and visit me at http://www.ritashabbychicrose.blogspot.com/
I'll be most glad if you'll let me know you've been there by leaving a comment. Love writing and reading comments. I'm turning into a bloggahohlic, i guess. And this is only the beginning since i started m blog only in July...and maybe need a shrink already??
As my profile is only in italian for the time being, i better tell you that you that I love vintage and shabby chic home decor, love linens, laces, and doilies, antiques, old teasets, antique pitchers, scented soap bars and most of all roses. I have roses (fresh, dried and silk ones) almost everywhere. This wouldn't be a problem if I lived in a large house, but since I live in a 70 square-meter apartment that can indeed turn into a problem, especially for my teenage daughter who doesn't understand my fondnss for such "useless" thingies.
drop by my blog which you can find at http://www.ritashabbychicrose.blogspot.com/
Leave a comment so that I'll know you've been there.
Warmely
rita

savvycityfarmer said...

hey ... I just did 2 bushel of those michigan beauties...they all be frozen now in my freezer!!!


stop on over Pleeeeeeeease♥♥♥♥♥

Holly Hills Primitives said...

Oh that looks delish! Might have to give it a try this year. Thanks for sharing, Dawn

Artsy Fartsy Junkin Finds said...

Boy it looks YUMMY, I am gonna hunt me down a food mill and make some of that good stuff! Tootles, Janna