If You're in the Market for great junk...You've come to the right Place!

Monday, November 15, 2010

A "Golden" opportunity!

I was going to sit down with you all tonight and give you the Christmas Decorating Blitz update...HOWEVER I decided to go a totally different route and spare you all the details of the mini tantrum I had earlier this evening when I went to Lowes and they hadn't got in their pine roping yet. ( enter sad face and slight foot stomp)
Anyway....
our evening took a different turn in the form of dinner! We hadn't expected to go out to eat tonight ~ leftovers were patiently waiting in the fridge. I had seen something recently about the Golden Corral giving away a free meal to all military personnel past and present. For some reason I thought about it while I was picking out some kale in the nursery. I mentioned to Mr. OTM that I thought it was today so we decided to go over and check it out!
Now...first I must say...I LOVE the Corral. That is the FIRST place I ever ate in North Carolina ( Mr. OTM pulled out all the stops) and I was hooked. They have the BEST salad bar and bread pudding. Good lordy I could eat that whole pan.
So we pull into the parking lot tonight and WHOA NELLY were they PACKED! Retired military personal were directing traffic and helping people park. We thought about not going in but for some reason we stuck it out and I am so glad. I suppose it would help to know that before Mr. OTM was vying for Olde Tyme Marketplace Employee of the Month he proudly served his county in the US Army. When we entered the restaurant he was given a sticker that says"I Served "then we were met by yet another Veteran who helped us find a seat. We sat with two other people we didn't even know and we didn't even care.
I went and made my huge honkin salad ( spinach, mandarin oranges, walnuts, dried cranberries, grilled chicken, sunflower seeds and honey mustard dressing) and grabbed some crackers. As I was inhaling my dinner I looked around the room and you should have seen everybody. There were so many military people of all ages , men and women. They had a beautiful table set where nobody was to be seated to honor all POW's~ Kate Smith is belting out God BLess America and it was honestly kind of moving in an odd way. Everyone looked happy, nobody was impatient and it just felt special. I can't tell you how many times Mr. OTM was thanked for serving.
The Corral put on quite a show. I love um even more.

7 comments:

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*~That sounds wonderful Beth! Thanks for sharing~*Hugs,Rachel~*~

Faded Charm said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend an evening. Please thank your husband for Serving his country for me too.

Don't work too hard.

Kathleen

Holly Hills Primitives said...

Good for you! Our country sure needs more of those to thank our past and present soldiers. Have a great week, Dawn

My Colonial Home said...

Oh Beth you are making me teary eyed!
Not enough is done to honor ALL of our service men and women. And it should be an on going thing, not just now and then.

We get our pine roping from Home Depot and Menards but they don't have theirs out yet either.
We usually have to wait till almost Thanksgiving.
BUT WE HAVE BEEN FORTUNATE TO BE ABLE TO GET IT IN TIME to have it up for our IN HOME SHOW the Friday after Thanksgiving...SO DON'T GIVE UP...I'm sure they will have it soon.

Karen

Carmen S. said...

That's awesome, I love the Corral too!!! Also love your header pic and hope you have a wonderful day full of many blessings:)

michelle said...

That is so great!! I am so glad that you waited, just the atmosphere alone I bet was so awesome! Thank you to Mr. OTM for serving! They do need more things like that to say thank you to all our soldiers!

Tammy said...

Yummy! The Barrell has some good food! and a BIG THANK YOU from me to Mr. OTM for his service, too!
See you guys soon at the shop!
Tammy :-)
JUNK WILD