If You're in the Market for great junk...You've come to the right Place!

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Art of Stalking Junk.....

Hello Friends!

If I were to write a book about JUNK.....

One of the chapters would have this title:

The Art of Stalking Junk

In that chapter I would share with you this TRUE STORY of how I did just that yesterday afternoon.

I left the shop about 11:00 am on my way to do a design consultation. Since I didn't want to show up to a professional appointment with my car loaded with junk, Mr. OTM and I emptied it completely prior to me leaving. (I love the feel of am empty car almost as much as one that is full of junk!) ANYWAY.....my first stop was to get some gas. After emptying my 401k into the gas tank, I pulled out onto busy Hwy. 74. As I pull out , I spot a pick up truck with a trailer filled with metal. I follow behind it.

LOTS of metal........"hummmmm" I say to myself.."all that stuff looks pretty beat up....like maybe they are going to the scrap yard or something!"

Holy Cow THAT WAS IT! I was positive they were scraping all that stuff.....HUGE bags of soda cans, old washing machine parts.....and on the VERY END of the TRAILER......

WAS THIS!!!!That's when the stalking officially began!

I HAD to get their attention to see if they would pull over.

More so, I had to see if they would pull over for some crazy chick , on a busy highway.

I pulled up next to them twice and both times I got a

"what's up with this crazy chick beside us look??"

FINALLY, they rolled down their window and I asked them if they could pull over.

THANK GOODNESS he said okay!




So, I am completely pumped up and excited to get this deal done!

Except.... that they decide to "pull over" into the turning lane which , as you know,

is the center of the highway.

Not the most convenient place for your first stalking episode, however it definitely added to the excitement!

"Good grief" I think , "if I don't get killed this whole thing is gonna be so worth it!"


I look around to see if any cars are heading our way or anything like that.

So far , so good.

The guy approaches my car and I tell him I want to buy that metal chest of drawers on the back of the trailer.
He laughs and says that he never had anyone ask him to pull over like that before that didn't have flashing lights and a uniform!

Anyway we cut a deal and I suggested that we move out of the road an into a parking lot!

Lord knows I didn't want my picture to wind up on the front page of the paper because I caused a 5 car pile up in Marshville. I am sure the newspaper article would proceed to explain exactly WHY I was in the middle of the road in the first place....and I am positive that many of you would totally understand ...however...safety first right ???

So anyway....

THANK GOODNESS the trunk was empty!

The guys loaded it up for me and I was good to go!

Not before I give them a business card and tell them to please feel free to stop by the shop first before they head to the scrap yard in the future.

You never know where you are gonna meet a good source!
My fist stalking episode was a success!

And fun...I had to call Mr. OTM right away and tell him what I just did.

He wasn't surprised......one.......bit.


Now fast forward to that evening. I tried a more conventional means of purchasing by going to an auction. Not as much drama like being in the middle of the road or anything, but fun none the less. Especially when I scored.............

this AWESOME 6 foot chippy chalkboard!


It was one of those...."I don't care how much it is I MUST have it" kind of things.

Thank goodness it was wellllllllll below what I envisioned having to pay, considering the fact that my 401k was in the gas tank remember?



I LOVE IT

I LOVE IT

I LOVE IT!!!

This one is probably going to Lucketts with me..

If I can part with it.

We'll have to see.


So there you have it! Two fabulous JUNK FINDS on the same day, but with two totally different stories.

Either way , I was completely happy and went to bed with a smile on my face!

Hummmmmm.....perhaps I should write a book.........

The End!














26 comments:

Barbara Jean said...

oh so fun story about the guys in truck!!
Great finds on both items!!
blessings
barbara jean

outjunking said...

That made me laugh. Good job!
Lisa

Angela said...

OMGosh!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this story!! How smart of you to give them your card and tell them to stop by your place first!! I am going to have to link this story in my blog pretty soon :) Oh and the metal chest -- to die for (and I guess you almost did, huh?)

Faded Charm said...

You should write a book, Beth...hahaha.

LOVE that metal set of drawers. Who would ever think of scrapping something so beautiful??? How sad. I'm so glad you rescued it so someone can enjoy it:-)

xoxo
Kathleen

Irma@CosasBellas said...

OMGosh Beth, I would totally buy your book and even pay extra for an autographed copy! lol

As you were telling the story the hairs on my arms were standing straight up with excitement. That totally sounds like something I would do, just ask my husband.
You are so resourceful, and brave.
My kinda gal! What an incredible piece you ended up with. Worth the risk of a pile-up, no doubt.

Wishing you a great week and many more ventures ahead, Irma

Josie said...

I laughed all the way through your story. I even read it to my husband and he replied "exactly something you would do". Too funny!

savvycityfarmer said...

... you failed to mention how late you were for the design appointment!
oh wait, is that chapter two?

of course i LOVE the cubbie ... I think I could've written your book

rusty hinge said...

Beth! Your story is awesome!!! :) I laughed the whole way through. And you know what is too funny, my husband manages a scrap yard full time so guess who begs him to take home "junk" for me? Whenever I pay him a visit I always try to get a peek at what just came in! :)
Maria

Bliss said...

I sure can't top that story, well maybe the gas tank part, but that's it!

~Bliss~

Bittersweetfolkart said...

Too funny ..I probably would have done the same thing !!

Rhondi said...

Hi Beth
I lOVE the story. You're almost as crazy (in a good way) as those guys on American Pickers. Maybe you could do a TV show!
Great find.

Cheryl said...

What a great story and the set of drawers is awesome!!
Happy stalking,
Cheryl

Sisters Treasures said...

Love, love, love your story. I have considered doing this or stationing myself at the salvage yard on any given weekend. Thanks for the morning laugh to start my day.

Tammy said...

Girl! I am not One...Bit...surprised at you either! But I would have loved to have been with you when it all went down! Priceless! I sure do miss you! I'm looking forward to those Sunday's at The Marketplace to start back up! When is Luckett's this year? I'm hoping to finally plan a few out of state junkin trips this year!
See ya soon!
Tammy
Junk Wild

Tammy said...

So funny. But so you.
tammy

White Lace and Promises said...

What a story! I've started my day with laughter! I'd love this kind of excursion! And where in the world does an auction with this kind of find exists??? Not in my neck of the woods, that's for sure!

Back in Time Treasures said...

I love it! That is something I would do! If I love it, I would do ALMOST anything to get it! Remember, I said ALMOST! I must come to your area sometime, you have the best junk! Here, you have to pay and arm and a leg for it! My 74 year old friend and I spent our Sunday driving around leaving notes in farmers doors asking for their fallen down barn wood! We need just one bite! THAT's ALL!

The Tattered Cottage said...

Oh My Gosh....I am still giggling. I had to read your post to my son just to prove that I am not the only person who pulls people over for the treasures they have in the back of their pick ups. One guy tried to out run me because he thought I was crazy. I finally caught him at a stop light and he was willing to give up some of his treasures he was taking to the dump if I would promise to never chase him again! LOL

Really Old Guy said...

I was at the dump one day about ten years ago and spotted a pickup truck alongside that had a mover's dolly that was missing one wheel. I got it for free! And the weight of the thing subtracted from the weight that I had to pay for unloading my own garbage.

Really Old Guy said...

Y'know, if that truck was loaded with metal, I'd have probably negotiated for the whole lot of it. My son does welding and needs a constant supply to provide folks with 'yard art'.

Ki said...

Love your story! What we do for the love of junk!
Cheers, Ki

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Beth, I love your junk story, I'd buy your book :) I'm been oh so guilty of doing the very same thing and did buy from a woman in a parking lot a while back too. She too was headed for the scrap yard. We were both happy.

Paula said...

Hi, Beth,
I think your junk stalking episode was hilarious...and just something I would do. I've crawled into filthy, spider-infested barns, flea-infested out buildings, creepy attics and scary basements. I have trespassed, knocked on strangers' doors, and generally made a nuisance out of myself in the name of junk. My friends know that when I say, "Trust me...it will be okay..." to run in the other direction. I bet you and I could get into some junk stalking trouble! Great to read your blog and love the pieces you found. Good work, girl! ;-)

Blessings,
Paula
www.paulasserendipity.blogspot.com

Pat said...

Beth I was cracking up as I read your stalking episode of finding your junk. You are the best and braviest I have to say.. Keep blogging I love it.

Pat said...

Beth I was cracking up the whole time I was reading your blog on stalking your junk. You have to be the craziest girl I know and I love your blog.. Keep finding that junk girl.

Passionate for White said...

What a fun story about a great piece....good for you!!!