If You're in the Market for great junk...You've come to the right Place!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Why I am not an Antique dealer......

THIS is the reason I call myself a junk dealer and NOT and antique dealer! Any reputable antique dealer will know the style of this...couch, sofa, davenport, settee...in a jiffy. ME...not so much.
I am calling it a vintage sofa.
So there!
(Seriously...if you know......please tell me so I can at least pretend to have a little clout in this biz~ and I need an accurate description for the price tag!)

Let me set the stage...I found this in Goodwill.
It's like 20 feet long
(at least 6 cuz my feet don't touch the other end when I lay down)
It's in PRIMO fabulous condition , covered  in a brown ultra-swade (the way I would spell it)  OR ultra -suede( if
you already have clout)
It has a GAZILLION tacks (that look amazing)
And was a PERFECT candidate for a simple make-over that would TRANSFORM and update it in a heartbeat!


Here it is during the make-over. Let me just say that poor planning not being patient left me with only a LINER brush to use to cut in around all the tacks. It took FOREVER in 200 degree heat in the shade  to do it  but why would you think I would bother to get in the car and drive to the hardware store to grab a different brush!
I had a project to complete people...I need to see results!!!!
I am my own worst enemy...I swear!
(How bout that hillbilly bucket "prop shelf"? Nice huh?? TOP SECRET TRICK OF THE TRADE!)

Looking at this photo you would never guess it's 200 degrees outside with the cute little sun dapples and fluttering leaves.....ugh......

And here we are with the after!

We already took it up to the High Point showroom yesterday and I think she looks great
with the brick walls and wood floors!

The distressed finish took it from blah...to BAM!

I am really happy with the results on this one. I would love to find more pieces like this that just need a quick update.
One thing I know for sure...I WILL be running to the hardware store in the near future to get some different brushes!
Have a great day!
P.S. remember....if you know what style this is...pleeeeze let me know!
THX!!

15 comments:

Sheila said...

Hi Beth,
I too never call me an antique dealer,seller what have you. If you do and you mark something lets say that is not technically an antique...there will be so old man to let you know how wrong you are and correct you. I had this happen before so I too am a girl who sells vintage items,then I am safe lol. Anyway the couch is uber fabulous and looks great with the new color,it is a 105 here too.

Smiles,
Sheila

Kirby Carespodi said...

Looks French Provincial to me--but prbably 'vintage' and not 'antique'--French Provincial has been popular since the 1920s. It looks absolutely terrific!

savvycityfarmer said...

it's whatever ... fabulous, I've coined the phrase
romanric farmhouse style ...

I do think FP is the correct lingo, tho

SCORE!!!!!

Anne said...

I am trying to pick my jaw off of the floor!!!!What a gorgeous piece.And you truly made it shine with that paint!Lucky girl!~~Lovely~~~
(((Hugs)))
Anne

Pendleton Primitives said...

An absolutely stunning piece!
~Christina

holli said...

Oh I LOVE it!!! This turned out Gorgeous and i would buy it if i lived near you. Texas is kinda far.

" SHABBY JUNK" said...

wow! wonderful!!!!!

Deserae said...

The sofa looks fabulous after the mini facelift!!! Great curves....love the nailheads too :o)
~Des

The Red Door said...

I agree with French Provincial, specifically Louis the 15th style. But "Cool, Vintage, Uber-Long Sofa" sounds great to me! :)

trash talk said...

I'm not a certified appraiser, but I'm voting French Provincial circa late 50's, early 60's, American made. In her day (notice I think it's a girl?) she would have been high end. Long and beautiful with perfect little snail feet.
Funny you would mention junk vs. antiques. I was just thinking of doing a post soon on that very subject.
Yes...I'm digging your...ahem...prop shelf. I don't bother even lifting stuff off of the ground.
Remember not to use that brush for makeup...not that you'll be wearing any in 200 degree heat any time soon...lol!
Deb

pballard said...

Great find. I love it and am sure it is going to sale very fast... Great job..

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Nice makeover! I'm definitely not an antique dealer or knowledgeable there either! I know what I like when I see it though and that's got great bones and you gave it a great facelift. Great job!

Have a great day, Beth!

Tammy

My Colonial Home said...

Well it's lovely and like Kirby...it's French Provincial - but could be something else but this is what I have seen the FP to look like.
Karen

Unknown said...

Ooh. Great find and refinish. Couldn't even begin to tell you what it's called. It does look French Provincial though!

Betty said...

Beautiful transformation!!! Looks like the French Provential style to me. My grandmother had French Provential back in the '60s.