If You're in the Market for great junk...You've come to the right Place!

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Touches around my house

I just put a roast in the oven so that gives me a little while to share with you some of my Christmas decorating I have done around the house.
I wanted to do something different this year. Ever since I have left home and have been decorating for Christmas in my own home I have always gone the country primitive route. All my ornaments were adorable handmade santas, snowmen, candy canes you name it.
Stuffed gingerbread men filled baskets, snowman pillows were on every chair. I still love all of those things but I wanted to see if I could pull something different off this year AND it had to be CHEAP! With Mr. OTM laid off ~ buying all new Christmas decorations was not a priority so I challenged myself with a budget and went THRIFTING! My finds also include yard sale items like this piece d'resistance...
Remember the mail bags I found this past fall? Well...I kept one! I can be a stinker!
I love how this looks and it took all of like 2 minutes to put together.


This little tree was a thrift store find. I love that it has that "real" look to it. The little star ornaments were only .85 cents each at the Depot. I bought all they had left (six) and wish they had a few more. I need a bit more on this tree yet and I was thrilled when I found 12 miniature glass bulbs for .99 at Goodwill. Those will get on after I type up this post!

The white pointsettia was 3.50 at Wal-Mart. The shabby little white bucket I already had and the adorable oval clock was a 4.99 thrift store treasure!



I also found these beautiful marble dove bookends at Goodwill for 9.50 for the pair. I'm not sure if they are staying in this vignette or not...might be a bit much...buy hey it's Christmas so go big or go home right? lol!




One of Mr. OTM's farmhouse stars nestled in a wreath I already had....



The tree we had....EVERYTHING on the tree, ALL the glass bulbs were bought at a thrift store. Price for all you ask??? I dropped a cool 10.00 for the whole she-bang! I have NEVER used glass bulbs on my tree....EVER! This is a first and I am loving the different look. I made the burlap bow for the top out of ribbon I used at the shop.
Little ole ice skates! Well these really set me back! Listen to this one!!
I found these at a yard sale for 1.00 and I turned into a pathetic mess!
You see, I forget my purse and didn't realize it until I went to pay for these. I knew I had change floating around the car so I went scrounging and you'd a thunk(sp?) that I found gold when I
came upon a quarter under the drivers seat then ANOTHER one under the floor mat in the back. Can you picture my rear end hanging out of the car while I scrounge? I was quite the sight I am sure! The rest was in the console but my total was .98 cents. Just two cents short and the lady felt sorry for me I guess because she told me just to take them. She didn't want to take my last dollar. Good grief...so okay...I took um.......but laid the .98 cents on her check out table when she went to help another customer.
Pathetic huh?
Sorry to anyone who may have drove by and saw the aforementioned rear end. I was on a mission.

Sorry this is so dark. The large metal star was a 10.00 garage sale find years ago when I still lived in Ohio. Thankfully I had my purse with me that day...geez!
The old windows (converted into mirrors) I purchased from a gal that walked into my shop one day and said" I have these old leaded glass widows you might like"....I fell over.....then got the checkbook. These I have had for years and never get tired of looking at them.
Below is an adorable handmade cookie cutter ornament made by my friend Tammy of JUNKWILD! What you don't see is the carton of handmade fudge it was attached to. The fudge had since been inhaled and it resting nicely on my hips!

This old post was a garage freebie! The BEST kind right??


I was rummaging on the lower shelf in a Salvation Army store when I came across a huge plastic bag filled all these pine cones! Some are painted white, some are glittery and some are plain. The whole bag was 3.99.



I love the natural look....



Meet my.......tree skirt! I saw this lone drapery panel and fell in love with the texture...


It had that burlappy look yet was a woven nubby cotton...



and it was CHEAP! The sticker says 7.99 but lucky me, all blue tags were HALF OFF that day!



I came home and cut off the part where the drapery hooks went and then just folded the edge over and hemmed it. It will be great as a table cloth after the holidays.


I just pooled it around the bottom and that's it!



I would loved to have found 4 of these panels because I would have used them on my windows~ but a tree skirt/ tablecloth makes me just as happy.


The pine cone wreath was yet another thrift store find~1.99. I layered in on top of another wreath I already had and hung it up with burlap ribbon. It's a bit hard to see but some of the pine cones look frosted and I love the bits of greenery that were already tucked into it.


I think this old firewood sign looks pretty good above it. I bought that along time ago at a yard sale for 5.00.....had my purse with me that day too in case you were wondering! lol!
So there ya have it....I am really happy with how all my thrift store Christmas finds have created a comfortable, new, sparkly, natural theme this year. When you add up what I spent just on the Holiday items I bought this year it's under 40.00 and my budget was 50.00.
Look out...I still have 10 bucks just burning a hole in my pocket!
Hope you enjoyed peeking!
P.S. I am linking this to Cottage Instincts Make it 4 Monday! Hop on over to check out all the inspiration!

24 comments:

Unknown said...

You & Miss Mustard Seed have the best rummage sale & Good Will luck that I've ever seen. Everything is beautiful, Beth. You had me laughing out loud at the rear end hanging out of the car comment. I have SO been there! Haha! I love your petite tree (it does look real) and I can't believe you did the big one for 10 beans. The leaded glass mirrors are beautiful...it all is!

Merry Christmas,
Jami

Anonymous said...

wow Beth...love your Christmas decor....and all those finds!! I loooove those leaded glass windows turned mirrors. Miss my old house with all those leaded glass windows...waaaaah!
patti

Vintage Market Place said...

so funny I was just admiring your post as you left a comment for me.
We do still have savers but they are crazy expensive!!! I thought goodwill was expensive out here but savers has them beat. 14.99 for a used shirt or dress not even vintage is just insane.
Anyway. your items look amazing and you got some great deals, the story of the skates is too funny! That has happened to me before, so embarrassing but very nice of you to leave what you had.
Happy Thrifty Holidays
Amy

the old white house said...

There are so many favorites here I just love so many of your great finds! The mirrors are fabulous! The stars look great everywhere, your marble bookends are amazing, love the pointsettia in the bucket! I could go on and on, it all looks really beautiful! And I would be remiss if I didn't say that the story of trying to find 1.00 didn't have me laughing out loud and that is because I have done the very same thing!! Merry Christmas! Theresa xoxo

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

You're a woman after my own heart with all your thrift and bargain finds. I love it too!

Tammy said...

Hey Beth! such a great post!
I laughed out loud
at the ice skates story!
Too funny girl!
I LOVE all your
beautiful~thrifty decorating!!
I bought one of those
white chippy wood stars
when I was at the shop last week...didn't realize
that Mr OTM made it!
He did tell me about the wood though! I just love mine!!
so glad you enjoyed the fudge...sounds like I should'a brought you a bigger box! LOL!
So sweet you mentioned me in your post...I loved making those cookie cutter ornaments! Thanks!
Hope you two have a wonderfully bright and beautiful Christmas!
Tammy :-)
JUNK WILD

trash talk said...

Your photos are wonderful and your home absolutely Christmas in the Pines beautiful...BUT...the picture I cannot get out of my mind is you with your rear waving in the breeze. Why isn't there a photo of that...'cause girl...that's a money shot!
You did a truly amazing job and your lovely home is the perfect backdrop!
Debbie

Unknown said...

Love that tree! I have been looking for a slim tree like that one. Everything looks so homey!
Thanks for sharing and have a Merry Christmas.

Elisha said...

i am a new follower and glad i found your blog.. your home is beautiful! I laughed bc I myself use "leftovers" for xmas tree skirts... one of my trees has a green & red plaid flannel shirt wrapped around the base of it! haha (hey... you cant tell its a shirt!)

Farm Field Primitives said...

Everything is absolutely beautiful. What awesome luck you have at thrift sales!! Thanks for sharing your home.
~Melissa~

Holly Hills Primitives said...

Absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to see what's next! Have a magical Christmas filled with love and happiness, Dawn

Jena Williams, Not So Shabby Interiors said...

Happy,Happy...everything looks just so warm and I just "your natural look"...thanks for sharing and have a Merry Christmas!!

Burlap Luxe said...

Oh my!
I love it, the mail bag had me at awwwww! and I so remember you featuring it.

I just love when Christmas does not cost much to pull it together and thrift shop finds wow me!

Yours are not old cast offs but treasured finds. You do not have a thrift shop look but a featured Country living magazine look!

Beautifully country cottage Christmas over here.

A Joyeux Noel to you and yours.
xx
~Dore

PS. Praying that yours is back to work soon.

Janet- OPEN MARKET STYLE said...

HI BETH THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENT ON MY BLOG !!
YOUR BLOG IS GREAT TO !!
A NEW FAVORITE !!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!
WARMLY
JANET

Carla said...

I love your thrift store Christmas decorations! They look terrific. I really enjoyed this entertaining post. I got a few chuckles, too.
Merry Christmas!

Primsue said...

Beth, everything looks wonderful! You did an awesome job - I love it all!

Christmas Blessings,
Sue

Heaven's Walk said...

Dear Beth......I so need to go shopping with you, girl. :) What a thrifty shopper you are! You see such beautiful treasures in the simplest of things. You're ideas are just fantastic. I LOVE the way you've decorated for the holidays on just pennies! You're my idol, girl..... ♥ Merry Christmas to you!

xoxo laurie

Faded Charm said...

Great job with all your cheap decorations....it looks wonderful. I didn't buy anything this year either. Just used what I already had and kept it really simple. i think the natural look is what christmas time should be about anyway.

Best wishes to you this holiday season.

Kathleen

Dru Ann @ a Fine Farmhouse said...

Your home looks So wonderful ! I love your fresh look ! Very creative and refreshing to see what you've done. Merry Christmas !

My Colonial Home said...

OJMGosh Beth you just have the best posts out there!
I am always in awe at what you do with your thrift/junk'n finds.

You are an inspiration to all of us, especially me - I see these things but the imagination isn't there.

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful home and have a wonderful MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Karen

time worn interiors said...

Wow! It all looks fabulous! And good grief, you are a great bargain hunter! All that stuff so cheap! Our
Goodwill never has anything! Actually it sucks! lol! Beth I love your style! Have a Merry Christmas!
Theresa
aka:tot

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*~*~*LOVE your beautiful Christmasy home Beth!!!~*~*LOVE your star for $10 too!!;) btw the Meyers Pine cleaning set I bought from TJ Maxx!! They still have them..do you live by a TJ Maxx? HUGS~ Rachel~*~~*

*French Farmhouse 425*

Simply Bungalow said...

I love all your decor. Simple and lovely!
Merry Christmas,
Heidi

from me to thee......... said...

wow, you done GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! looks so pretty.....smiles, Linda